Boston,the 24th most populous city in the US, is one of the oldest municipalities in the United States, founded on the Shawmut Peninsula in 1630 by Puritan settlers from the English town of the same name. Its rich history attracts many tourists, with Faneuil Hall alone drawing more than 20 million visitors per year. Walking trails, museums, art galleries, sports events, even Swan Boats and historic sites all compete for your time in Boston.For those who cannot make it to the venue in person, Virtual Boston offers virtual experiences of many of the city's attractions.
There will be a conference attendee discount for rooms at the hotel at 199USD + VAT. Book your room here by 9 June!
The safety measures in place at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
A number of eating options around the conference venue can be found by searching online for restaurants in the "Boston Seaport District". E.g. there is a selection of restaurants about a 10 minute walk from the conference venue westwards along Seaport Blvd or Congress Street.
Official information related to COVID-19 relevant to visiting Boston, USA can be found at:
- Boston MA, US. Please note that in Massachusetts different towns can have different regulations, e.g. if you are in the neighboring town of Cambridge MA, US.
- Massachusetts, US
- Federal US government information related to federal regulations and travel instructions, e.g. at the CDC.
The health and safety of the GECCO'22 community — participants and volunteers alike — is a top priority. With a focus on coming together safely this July, we will be implementing the safety protocols below for all in-person attendees:
- Face Coverings: We are requiring all people attending indoor events at the conference to wear masks. We strongly encourage you to bring your own masks.
- Social Distancing: Space planning in all meeting rooms will include social distancing whenever possible.
- GECCO may enforce additional requirements, particularly to align with CDC guidelines for masking and social distancing at the time of the meeting.
- Hygiene: Hand sanitizer and masks will be readily available in the hotel.
- We encourage all venue staff to wear masks, however, please note that we cannot enforce this due to labour agreements unless the city does.
- If you feel unwell, then you are encouraged to get tested. The nearest COVID19 testing site appears to be this one: CVS, 3 Post Office Square, Boston 02109. If you fall ill during the event and if you wish to quarantine in your bedroom (in the conference hotel), then the hotel will honor that request and follow protocols for assisting you. Once departed the hotel will clean the room thoroughly.
In July the weather can be quite hot and humid so remember to stay properly hydrated
A bike sharing program in Boston is the BlueBike
A number of poster printing options can be found by searching online. One possible option is "FedEx Office Print & Ship Center". For a few more options, see the Technical instructions for posters.